As large cities become more crowded as a result of migration from rural to urban areas, small towns remain deserted and the economy, in the absence of labor force, declines. In many parts of the world, authorities have launched programs designed to attract new residents. Of course, in order to be paid to move there, you must meet certain conditions. And this is because, depending on the needs of the place, people with certain occupations are sought and young couples or families with children are preferred, as expected.

The city of Tulsa in Oklahoma welcomes those interested in a relocation not only with open arms but also with grants of up to USD 10,000. The money is provided through the Tulsa Remote program. In addition, offices are offered, along with free access to networking events. Minnesota, Alaska, and Vermont offer similar options. While in Bemidji, Minnesota, you can get support for about USD 2,500 and access to a co-working space, a relocation to Alaska can get you USD 1,600 a year just to live there, while the Vermont authorities are willing to offer USD 10,000 paid over two years to make your accommodation easier. However, you must be sure that you meet the required criteria, such as being at least 18 years old. Among the conditions is the possession of a residence and work permit in the US.

Europe does not lack countries waiting for residents either. With just 80 inhabitants, the Greek island Antikythera is looking for new inhabitants. The authorities are ready to offer not just a plot of land or a house, but also a EUR 500 monthly grant for the first year.

Italy has gone even further, launching a program through which you can buy abandoned houses for just one euro, less than 50 kilometers from the seafront. The new owners must, however, consider administrative and notarial fees and the cost of renovation, among other things. Calabria, Sicily, Lazio, or Sardinia are among the provinces that offer this opportunity. And if we talk about the classic financial scheme for new residents, the options are diverse. The medieval town of Candela in the Apulia region, for example, offers single people grants of EUR 800, the amount increasing to EUR 1,200 for couples and EUR 2,000 for families. The condition for receiving the funds is proof that those interested receive a salary of at least EUR 7,500 per year. Calabria also offers a generous amount of up to EUR 28,000, in tranches of EUR 800-1,000 over three years. The money can be received in full if you are ready to set up a business, such as a restaurant, a B&B, or a shop. The Tuscany wine region is also on the list, with grants of EUR 200 or the coverage of half of the rent in the first two to six months after the relocation. It may seem small, but things change when you see that there are rental options from as low as EUR 200 per month.

And if you are under 45 and prefer the alpine landscapes of Switzerland, the good news is that Swiss villages like Albinen offer grants of as much as CHF 25,000 /adult and CHF 10,000 /child for relocation. However, only Swiss citizens, persons who have obtained a category C residence permit, or those married to a Swiss resident are eligible. The commitment of those who will benefit from them must be taken as seriously as possible, as new residents are required to assume that they will remain there for at least a decade. The money is paid by the inhabitants of Albinen, so if you want to leave before the end of the ten years, you have to return the amount received.

Data for this article was obtained from, and